Friday, December 28, 2012

Wicca 101: Rituals and Circles

Hello, this is Dawn, and this is my 2nd post of the night. In this entry, I promised that I'd explain what it means to cast a circle, why should you cast a circle, and most importantly, how to cast a circle.

Since tonight is an esbat, or full moon, this means that Wiccans will hold a ritual. Most Wiccans will cast a circle, conduct their rituals inside of this circle, then close it. This is so all negative energies are kept out and pure energies are kept in.

Before we get to casting a circle, let me state things that prefer to do before conducting a ritual. Sometimes, I like to clean the place that I am going to have the ritual. Seeing as I've been a little more bold, I clean the table in the living room. Depending on my mood, I may also clean my body. To me, it symbolizes that the Maiden (new moon) is reborn or that whatever is living will have to deteriorate and start anew (Full moon).  Then, I cast my circle. Here's where you, once again, do what you feel is correct.

I label what is in front of me north, what's on my right east, what's on my left west, and what's behind me south. I call the elements. North can be whatever your heart desires, but I label that Earth. Water is west. East is air. And South is fire.  With what I have in my possession, I am able to have representations of everything: a cup of water, a candle that will be lit when I call fire, a pine cone for earth, and incense for air. I then light the incense.  Once again, do whatever feels right.

Calling the elements can be as simple as, "air, I welcome you into my circle," or it can rhyme and all of that jazz. Normally, I would say, "Air, may you guide me in the right direction. I welcome you into my circle." Move onto the next element. I go counterclockwise. 

"Earth, I ask you to ground me..."
"Water, allow me to relax in your body..."
"Fire, warm me in your flame..."

Great. You have called all of the elements. Now, it is time to welcome the deities. So, call them and politely welcome them to your circle. Don't demand them. Welcome them. Then you do your spiritual work.

Cake and ale is not actual cake and ginger ale. It's a sweet treat that you take one bite of and take one sip of in honor of the God and Goddess. I usually grab tea and something to bite, then uncast the circle. Uncasting the circle is like casting the circle in reverse and bidding the deities and elements farewell (going from the one you recently called to the first one called). You politely say that they can leave the circle. Remember, you are in sight of the God and Goddess, and you should completely act like it.

After closing the circle, and if there's tea and what-have-you left over, then you can finish your cake and ale after the circle is gone. At least that's what I do...

I hope that this helped you guys who are new and wanting to cast your circles and have rituals. These are the basic esbat rituals...

Much love, 
Dawn )O(

No comments:

Post a Comment